Saturday, November 6, 2010

To Make This Very Clear

Just because we are attending this university does not mean we are rich. The assumptions made during class this week concerning the students financial security were presumptuous, and from some that I heard talking about them, hurtful. There are ways going to college can create financial insecurity even if one can manage to make up the difference between financial aid and tuition. For instance, this year is the last that my parents can help me pay to go to American. If I need any  help after this, it will mean either transferring to a cheaper college, taking out loans under my own name (I've been building up credit just in case), or asking my parents for help, thus sentencing one of my siblings down the road to state or community college. Others I know went through hell and high water to get here, and will be battling the odds to stay every year.

I'm not saying the generalization that we are all reasonably financially secure is not a logical one. Just that assuming that is the case for everyone is an over-generalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment