Monday, November 1, 2010

This weekend was legend-... wait for it... and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is DAIRY!

Where shall I start? What an amazing weekend!

First: trick-or-treating at the embassies--a little disappointing, but still memorable. Only one embassy actually gave us international candy--Korea. But we had a great bonding experience and some members of the group even landed on the front page of the Washington Post! I was busy taking a picture of the embassy so I'm not actually in the picture :(


Second: the Idina Menzel concert. A great medley of pop culture spanning from Barbara Streisand to Lady Gaga, the NSO Pops conducted by Marvin Hamlisch and Idina Menzel made my night unforgettable. It was the perfect blend of sass, pop culture trivia, comedy, passion, and beautiful music from Marvin, Idina, and the NSO Pops. Touched on many songs that played a major role in shaping today's pop culture. Starting with the Overture from Gypsy, Mr. Hamlisch conducted 4 pieces that had two things in common: 1. the Musical they are from exemplify women's strength and 2. they expressed the culture of various time periods. (The other songs were Annie Get Your Gun Overture, Memories from Cats, and My Fair LadyOverture. He talked about how he got his start in music. It was phenomenal listening to a man who has created history himself. If you don't know who Marvin Hamlisch is, look him up--immediately. Idina also talked about some historical events that she took part in or witnessed, including the dress rehearsal for Rent when the writer of the musical died suddenly, playing Elphie in Wicked, and singing for Barbara Streisand at the Lincoln Center. And, just as a bonus, I got her autograph twice that night. :)



Third: Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. I didn't camp out. I didn't wake up extra early. I did cram into a metro car to travel to Metro Center, the entire trip with my head pushed against a stranger's arm. Walking from Metro Center to the rally, we got to see people selling buttons and memorabilia reminding people how historical that day was. After spending my previous night listening to my idols recant their encounters with historical events, I got to participate in a rally that would change how the media affects politics. Who knows, it may have been the beginning of the end of the brainwashing era! AND I (and every other AU/Gtown student and like a few thousand other people) WAS THERE TO WITNESS IT LIVE!


Fourth: Trick-or-Treating for real. Timeless past time. nuff said :)



But now it's November... bunny bunny foot foot!

No comments:

Post a Comment