Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Afghanistan Security

I have mixed feelings towards the security that the troops deployed in Afghanistan currently provide. The idea of them being there provides a visible sign to the rest of the world that if you mess with the United States, we won’t just stand back. It’s a constant reminder that the country is willing to get involved when threatened and I think that presence provides almost a deterrence to other states that may wish to foster non-state actors posing a threat to the United States. However, the fact that the troops are there and aren’t easily deployable makes me worry about my own personal security and that of the country’s. If there was to be another terrorist attack, some type of natural disaster, etc. where troops would be needed at home, we could be, depending on the magnitude of the program, be overextended. So with troops over in Afghanistan, I almost think we are not as safe here at home.

When I think about feeling “secure” myself, I think about personally feeling safe at night, not keeping in minds the objectives and threats to the United States as a whole. Going by that definition, I think that I would feel more secure with us out of Afghanistan, or staying at home preparing to defend as oppose to almost continuing a type of preventive strategy that may or may not be effective.

It’s important to note how different the question specifically asking about Afghanistan is if it has been replaced with Iraq. I think because I believe we had to go to Afghanistan after 9/11, but, by contrast, don’t believe going to Iraq was the best decision (see the fact that Tenet was referencing early 90s information when calling WMD a “slam dunk” case), I feel much more secure with troops in Afghanistan than Iraq because I better understand the purpose and the threat that is posed.

1 comment:

  1. Would you say that we have we helped foster a more "secure" Afghanistan, and more importantly a "secure" democracy within the nation? Being that there is still a lack of freedom of the press and overall freedom of speech in the nation, Afghanistan still has long strides till they are formally a democracy. With that said, some Afghan citizens have started opposing US involvement in the nation because they feel that Western nations have failed them. Couldnt this ultimately create a new threat to our security as a nation and a "benevolent hegemon".

    ReplyDelete