Sunday, October 10, 2010

Reflection Week Seven

The idea of looking at a situation from a different perspective tends to be one of the most difficult things to do. Which is why, when assigned labor unions, I was slightly concerned about my ability to adequately defend and see from the view of a labor union.
 
For one thing, my dad told a few of his friends about my role in the simulation. They actually laughed at me, and then lectured me about how difficult it has been for them to work with labor union workers over the years. Probably not the best sign for the project.
 
Still, it proved to be a valuable lesson. It's always beneficial to walk in someone else's shoes, and it helped me to see labor from the human, rather than business perspective. I'm not going to be the biggest labor union fan, but I have more respect and knowledge of their positions. Especially talking with someone that worked in Baltimore’s labor union office made me understand more of their position. I don’t have connections with anyone in a labor union, and tend to always hear the perspective of the business owner or manager’s view of labor unions. He gave me a more personalized account of the labor union and its importance in his life, as well as the efforts of the unions to not hinder development, but to work with other unions and businesses around the world, comprehending the importance of globalization.

So although it would have been easier to have something like GM, which may be along the lines of my interests, it was interesting to analyze a situation from another perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment