Thursday, October 28, 2010

Boundaries

I think that there should be boundaries on nation's security policies. For example, I don't believe that there should be X-ray body scanners at the security lines in airports. That is an invasion of personal privacy. I understand where lawmakers are coming from and how this could be a beneficial idea, however, it is at the expense of thousands of people's dignities. I agree with the NSC 2010 that security needs to be a community effort. Each person needs to play their part. If they do, then these X-ray body scanners will be almost completely unnecessary.



2 comments:

  1. I think what you're saying is that you think that security should not violate civil liberties of the American people. I suppose a lot of this falls under the idea of there being an implied right to privacy in the Constitution, that the government cannot violate people's rights, like for example tapping phone lines. However, do you think there's ever a time where security takes preference over an American's rights? Where you can violate some Constitutional boundaries in the name of the greater security?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I don't know. I don't think we've gotten there yet. They may be a time somewhere in the future when it may be necessary, but I don't think it is 100% necessary right now. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete