Sunday, September 26, 2010

Reflective Post: Week 5

I don't want to write a reflective blog post. In fact I don't want to write anything at all. I want to sleep. But desire is irrelevant in the face academic betterment which is in turn made irrelevant because academic betterment is what I desire so this entire statement is in turn made irrelevant.

My brian right now

This week started interestingly with a simulation to illustrate power. Specifically how PTJ has all the power and we have none, like the Russian peasants under the Tsarist reign of terror (sorry about that reference, I just finished writing a paper on the Russian Revolution). The esteemed professor started off class sitting in the back of the room, dressed uncharacteristically in a T-shirt, jeans and a baseball hat with Erin teaching the class. But in a pivotal moment, he cleared his throat and the room went silent as we remembered who had the real power and it had nothing to do with who is wearing the suit and holding a lightsaber.

You're not fooling anyone in those khaki's and Oxford, Star Wars kid

Later that same class (or maybe it was the next class, my mind is to overloaded with knowledge and snark to save any room for a linear sense of time), we did another experiment in power when we scrapped the good old foam baseball and hand raising in favor of anarchical discussion form. In my opinion, this worked better, nothing against the baseball, but it forced people to speak up and make themselves heard when they had something to say. Of course this is coming from me who has never had a problem opening my big mouth (I may even have the opposite problem).

We also went to the French Embassy and for that I will include a French military joke for your reading pleasure:

Q: How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
A: We don't know, they never tried


No comments:

Post a Comment