Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Only Tyrant I Accept in this World is Voice

I am utterly terrible at science. I almost failed out of chemistry sophomore year, and barely scraped through physics and bio. You may be wondering, as the excellent-grade-getting, intelligent, high achievers you are, why I would reveal to you such an obvious deficiency. The answer is that I'm about to do something rather science-y, and felt that I should establish before doing so that this is pretty much all the Scientific Process I know, and that you, no matter how much you love science or scientific evaluational theory, should probably not try to talk to me about it. You will probably be disappointed. 
But onto the one part of science that made sense to me: necessary definitions. It has always made sense to me that in order to analyze something (in science, sure, but really in anything) you need to define the parameters of exactly what you're exploring. So my first question when responding to this blog question is, what constitutes for an uneducated voter?


If I've practiced with this, am I still "uneducated"? It said educational on the box...


For instance. Let's work under the assumption for a moment that an

"Uneducated Voter is a person who literally has no notion of their options, and bases their vote on chance, how much they like their name, who gave them a button outside the door, eenie meenie miney mo, etc."

If you disagree or worked under a different assumption, okay. That's cool. This is just the one I'd like to start with. I suggest that if someone has literally no idea who or what they're voting for, they shouldn't, and probably won't vote, but that there should be no structure prohibiting them if they should so choose to. So if I'm from Atlantic City (I am) and there are 18 year olds in my Junior year gym class (there were) who registered to vote when they got their license (they did) but only know there's a presidential election that night because there are posters on the school walls cancelling clubs for it, they probably shouldn't vote. But the fact is, they didn't vote. Who, if they know nothing about the issue and care nothing about any of the candidates, would wait for 2 hours to play eenie meenie miney moe behind a silly curtain?

Pin the Tail on the Donkey! I mean... voting....


BUT (this must be important, check out how capitalized those letters are) IF those students had chosen to vote that night, they should be able to, because that capability is part of being an American Citizen. 


Let's switch definitions for a moment. What if an Uneducated Voter included misguided, mis-educated, vaguely interested masses that instead of being catered to by politicians are instead to whom most political parties aim their fiercest propaganda? 


These people (although many people would discourage me) are the people I would encourage to vote. They at least know the voters names and some characteristic of them, and the reason I would encourage them to vote has a couple layers. First, people who vote typically are more conscious of the new person in power. Let's say, like in a popular youtube video during the presidential campaigns that was removed because of its controversy, you think when Obama comes to power he's going to pay off your mortgage and for your gas which is why you're voting for him. Well, when he's elected and, oh my, you're still paying off your mortgage and spending inane amounts of money on gas, you're going to be angry! You're going to have developed, mostly on accident, a very basic political opinion, and him disappointing you like that might lead you to be better informed next time. Also, no matter how misled a persons opinions are, if they have them, they deserve to have them heard. "The only tyrant I accept in this world is the voice from within" is a quote from Gandhi during his crusade to free India from injustice and oppression, and I can't help but think, given that we've been granted these liberties, that we should use them and let everyone else do the same. As long as one person has a voice, it can be heard, and that is the beauty of the United States. 


And to those who would argue that people from definition A should be restricted from voting or that people from definition B are as "stupid" as A, I say cynicism is cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment