Monday, September 20, 2010

Reflective Post: Week 4

This week I started listening to the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia soundtrack while I work. I find that the easy natured andante holds the stress at bay, like a sunbeam cutting through storm clouds (get it? It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Sunny? Yeah I went there). Why am I telling you this, you might ask? Because I want to and this is my blog. That's why. Also I didn't have a good opener and while I still don't, I have created a sufficient diversion to throw you off my trail of witty-opening-line-less-ness.

Do you know what a Kansas City Shuffle is?

This week in class we discussed voting and whether it's better to vote without knowing who or what you're voting for, or to not vote at all. This was a topic I had a got a great deal of enjoyment from in both writing the blog and in class. I think that this week's discussion really exemplified the way in which a good discussion will arc and eventually come full circle. Although it started out predictably, as people opened up more and more and their true beliefs came out, it got fun.


On Wednesday we went to the state department. My first impression was that it was a rather unimpressive building for all the importance it houses. But as it turned out, the majesty of that place lay not in the architecture of the building, but the stories of the people inside.

Like this person

The foreign service officer who spoke to us, David Bame, told us amazing stories about negotiating hostages out of prison and dramatic run in's with the Iraqi military. They only made a brief internship pitch, but the tales Bame spun for us were enough to make anyone starting studying for their foreign service officer exam straight away, myself included. That being said, I have to go study up on my Jeopardy trivia. Catch you next time, loyal reader



No comments:

Post a Comment