Sunday, September 12, 2010

Reflective Post: Week 3




Has it only been 3 weeks?

This week was certainly one for the ages. It was a week that saw Labour Day, Rosh Hashanah, my first AU orchestra rehearsal, the acquisition of my very own iPhone 4, Machiavelli galore and (most importantly by far) my 18th birthday. That's right, adoring fans, I am now a man in the eyes of the law. It's draft cards, voting and federal prison from here on out.

I also don't look at explosions as I walk away from them anymore. It's a man thing

I also had an epiphany in our very own World Politics class. It was a simple epiphany, nothing life changing (although I suppose that goes against the definition of the word, but sue me, I'm a man now. I do what I want). I was sitting in class listening to people pull out figures and facts about international trade relations realist theory when it hit me: I hardly know anything about world politics. I have the same cursory, 5 o'clock news knowledge of the goings on outside this country as the next American.

Like this American, for example

But I realized something else in this flash of uncharacteristic genius: I'm ok with my own stupidity. I'm not here to show off knowledge I already have, I'm here to learn new things, so what better subject is there to take than one that I know nothing about? None (I answer you). Luckily for me this happened the day after my 18th birthday so I can now accredit this newfound wisdom to my legal status. Than you Uncle Sam.

You're welcome, kid. You be a good young man now, stay off the streets and in the army

2 comments:

  1. "I was sitting in class listening to people pull out figures and facts about international trade relations realist theory when it hit me: I hardly know anything about world politics. I have the same cursory, 5 o'clock news knowledge of the goings on outside this country as the next American."

    Ah, but that's only a [fraction] of what it takes to "know something" about world politics. The other [fraction] is the very thing we were doing in class: not reciting facts and figures, dates and conflicts, but trying to figure out a way to organize and make sense of all that information. Data you can (and should) learn on your own; learning to conceptualize it and analyze it benefits enormously from discussion with others ... which, along with improving our underhand pitching and fielding skills, is pretty much the point of class :) The point here is -- and this goes for everyone -- the open-minded attitude you've taken here is a good one -- and never feel you can't participate in class discussion because you know less data on a particular empirical conflict or phenomenon than someone else in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I'm with you on the limited knowledge of world events. I actually emailed Erin once over the summer in a panic that I would get here and realize that everyone in UC was a politician-to-be and I was waist deep in theories and data that I didn't recognize or understand. But I think we're floating on okay, since it seems to be more about having opinions and knowing how to support them (even if that's not with cold, hard examples and facts).

    B) Wow, someone's really excited about this whole 18-thing. :P Just remember, you'll always be 8 days younger than me!

    p.s. these sites, if you don't know about them, are what Erin sent me in response to my panicked email. Although I don't visit them as often as I should, many of the authors are both knowledgeable and amusing.
    http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/
    http://www.undispatch.com/

    ReplyDelete